Apps that support Apple’s Core Audio framework allow you to use iOS compatible audio interfaces, such as the Alesis iO Dock or the Apogee Jam (to name a few), to send audio in and/out of your iDevice to be recorded, processed live, amplified via external speakers. You can also use just about any USB audio interface and an iPad Camera Connection Kit. Here’s a regularly updated list of iPhone / iPad apps that support this:
*INDICATES AN APP THAT HAS EARNED THE iOS MUSICIAN GOLD STAR OF APPROVAL*
List last updated: Feb 27, 2013
- Meteor Multitrack Recorder - A digital multi-track recorder designed specifically for the iPad. The program features up to 12 tracks of high quality Stereo, Mono and MIDI audio, a built in mixer and multi-effects processor.
- MultiTrack DAW (universal) - The power of a digital audio workstation in the palm of your hand. Release your creativity with up to 24 high quality audio tracks. Record multiple takes, harmonies, solos, and experiments. No more worrying about bouncing tracks – each instrument can have its own.
- n-Track Studio - n-Track Studio is an audio multitrack recorder that turns your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch into a full-fledged recording studio.
- GarageBand (universal) - GarageBand turns your iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch into a collection of Touch Instruments and a full-featured recording studio.
- *Music Studio – A complete music production environment for the iPad/iPhone/iPod touch with features and a sound quality previously only known to desktop applications and expensive audio hardware.
- *Loopy HD (universal) - Create music by layering looped recordings of singing, beatboxing, or playing an instrument with a savvy, sophisticated, tactile new looper that totally reinvents the formula.
- *JamUp Pro (universal) - Plug your guitar or bass into your iPhone or iPad, and start rocking with JamUp Pro, a digital multi-effects processor that turns your iOS device into a studio-grade guitar rig.
- AmpKit+ (universal) - AmpKit is the ultimate guitar amps, effects and recording app for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch, now with iPad Retina display graphics and an even greater selection of gear in the Gear Store, including the first full-featured, modern bass amp available on iOS.
- StompBox - StompBox is an application that turns your iPad into a fully fledged digital effects unit, complete with chromatic guitar tuner, metronome and loop recording tools.
- FiRe 2 – Field Recorder - Advanced portable recording application for iOS.
- Portastudio – TASCAM’s Portastudio brings 30 years of easy-to-use home recording to your iPad. Based on the PORTA ONE recorder that revolutionized recording in 1984, the Portastudio app records up to four tracks with a vintage vibe.
- Audio MIDI Connect – Capture the notes from live vocals or instruments such as guitar, bass, or trumpet, and transcribe songs without taking your hands off of the instrument.
-Use a real instrument and a iOS (Core Audio) compliant interface to control other apps running in the background.
-Video demo: http://youtu.be/kZOqJuR0QKs
- Auria & Auria LE - 48-track digital audio recording system for iPad
- *BeatMaker 2 - Combining music production tools that were behind the success of countless artists, BeatMaker 2 is a powerful, easy-to-use composition interface for amateurs and professionals alike. Now with audio tracks!
- Reforge - Reforge for iPad is the Swiss army knife for audio files on iPad. Edit the wave form directly just by touching it. Set selections to cut, copy and paste within files or even paste from another file. Set the selection to trim unwanted parts of your audio off.
- Remaster - Polish your music, fix it in the mix. 7 band equalizer, normalizer. Render to file. Audiocopy and paste. Export setting to use in Equalizer. Export settings as PDF.
- Loopr Live Loop Composer – Loopr offers you a very low latency mean to record and play loops. You can create, practice, jam along, or sample audio soudscapes easily with this simple to use app. Developed by long-time expert loopers, it is focused on ergonomy and simplicity through one finger controls but also via hands-free MIDI pedalboard compatibility.
- FL Studio Mobile HD (now universal) – Create and save complete multi-track music projects on your iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch. You can even load the FL Studio Mobile projects into the ‘FL Studio Desktop PC’ version and take them to the next level.
- New! Cubasis – Steinberg’s streamlined, multitouch sequencer for the iPad. Specially designed for quick and easy operation, Cubasis makes recording, editing and mixing a breeze. Record tracks in CD audio quality, and edit your music with the key and sample editors, while the included mixer and audio effects polish your song to perfection.
This is all I’ve got so far! Help me make this list bigger by commenting below with any missing apps you can think of!
Do you like lists? Check out my grand list of app lists here!