Quick App Tip #18: Record in Sunrizer synth for iPad via the background with Virtual MIDI sequencer

Check out this BeatMaker 2 Virtual MIDI walk through!

I was playing with Sunrizer synth the other day when came up with some pretty cool ideas that I wanted to record, which can be tricky on an iPad. So I thought I’d record the MIDI and fix any mistakes in Genome, and then send it over to Sunrizer via Virtual MIDI to get a perfect recording. Turns out, it is possible to continue recording audio in the background (multitasking) with Sunrizer. Before you try this, make sure that the Start on first touch option in the utilities menu is on and that audio background is enabled.

Happy synthing!

For more Virtual MIDI apps, check out my regularly updated list.

More Quick App Tips

Sunrizer synth for iPad on the Sunrizer synth - BeepStreet

Genome MIDI Sequencer for iPad on the Genome MIDI Sequencer - White Noise Audio Software

9 comments

1. wes says:

I’m confused. Did you first record something in Sunrizer, save it, then send it to Genome to fix, or did you use the piano roll in Genome, and used that to trigger the notes in Sunrizer? Thanks.

• iOSMusician says:

recorded the MIDI in Genome, then used virtual MIDI to record the audio in sunrizer

• iOSMusician says:

that actually wasn’t made too clear in the post, fixed now! =D

thanks,

//sean

2. Anonymous says:

Great tip.

I am trying to do something similar on an iPhone: have a sequencer app generate MIDI in the background so that I can record in synths other than Sunrizer? What is required is a sequencer that send virtual MIDI in the background.

I gather Genome does this on the iPad, but I only have an iPhone.

Nlog MIDI Synth accomplishes this, but it can’t edit MIDI performances. I can import them from other sequencers but that takes a few extra steps.

Do you know of other sequencer apps that can do this, that is send virtual MIDI while in the background?

Thanks!
    Michael

• iOSMusician says:

if an app has virtual midi, it must be able to send it in the background, virtual midi is the ability to send midi to other apps running on the same device, and in order to do that it has to be ‘background-able’

as i mentioned to Michael Darby, beatmaker 2 can do this, and Xewton Music Studio will in a future update ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QhJOLSTuiM < this video doesn’t demo it but it says virtual midi in the vid description )

3. Michael Darby says:

Sean,

Great tip. Do you know of apps that can do the reverse, namely send virtual MIDI while in the background? I am thinking of apps with MIDI editors like Garageband, MusicStudio, Nanostudio, etc. I don’t think any of them can source MIDI while in the background.

Nlog MIDI does do this, and it can record live performances or import MIDI files, but it can’t edit them. So if I don’t want to record live I need to edit in another program, export/copy then import/paste in Nlog MIDI.

At that point, I can use that MIDI performance to drive Animoog, for example, and record from Animoog.

Thanks for any ideas!
    Michael

4. EcentC says:

Oh yeah I do this all the time with beatmaker 2 and sunrizer. Then I usually copy to nanostudio and finish track there.

5. chris says:

Not topic related but I hope you guys can help out. I have MIDI files onboard my laptop and would like to transition to the iPAD. From there I would like to play my MIDI files using the iPAD to control my synths. Can I do all this using Genome?