The question that I get asked the most would probably be “is it possible to connect my iPad to my Desktop DAW?” iConnectivity seems to have addressed this issue with their iConnectMIDI2+ ($89.99 – not bad at all!) and 4+ ($199.99) audio MIDI interfaces…
iConnectMIDI2+ is not only a 2 in 2 out MIDI interface for PC, MAC, and iOS. It also introduces two exciting new features to enable musicians to professionally integrate more than one computer or an iOS device into their music making environment.
The first of these technologies allows for more than one computing device to access the same MIDI resources. This is useful in many ways such as, sending MIDI from a controller or synth to a DAW and an iOS device simultaneously, setting up redundancy in a live MIDI environment, sending MIDI from multiple computing devices to one another, and more.
iConnectMIDI2+ also features Audio Pass-through. This patent pending technology is integral to using iOS, and multiple computing devices (Mac, PC, and iOS) in a professional environment by enabling the devices to pass not only MIDI data but also audio data from device to device. There are many practical applications for this technology, for example now musicians can use a DAW on their MAC or PC to control a virtual instrument or other music making program on their iOS or other computing device (PC, MAC, iOS) and send the MIDI data as well as audio data back to the DAW without extra cables, or signal degradation or additional analog to digital conversion.
- 2 In & 2 Out Sets of MIDI DIN Connectivity
- MultiHost Capability – Connect 2 Computing Devices Simultaneously
- Supports MAC, PC, and iOS Computing Devices
- Audio Pass-Through From One Computing Device To Another
- Integrated MIDI Manager With Snapshot Preset Storage – For MIDI Thru, MIDI Merge, Filtering, and Advanced Routing Control
- USB MIDI Class Compliant
- USB Bus Powered
- Supports 10 Ports of 16 Channels of MIDI I/O Per Port
- Plug and Play – No Drivers Needed
- Charge iOS Devices via Optional Adapter
Finally, a high quality way to connect your iDevice to your Mac / PC DAW!
Also discussed in Sonic Talk #299 @ 34:25 (timed link)