Core MIDI Compliant iOS Apps
If you know of a Core MIDI compliant app that isn’t on here, feel free to let me know in the comments section below.
*INDICATES AN APP THAT HAS EARNED THE iOS MUSICIAN GOLD STAR OF APPROVAL*
List last updated: October 20, 2013
- *NanoStudio - NanoStudio is a recording studio for iPhone/iPod Touch. It has virtual analogue synths, sample trigger pads, a comprehensive sequencer, a sample editor, a mixer and multiple effects all integrated into a single application.
- *Music Studio - Music Studio offers a complete music production environment for the iPad/iPhone/iPod touch with features and a sound quality previously only known to desktop applications and expensive audio hardware.
- XENON Groove Synthesizer - XENON includes highly tweakable polyphonic hybrid synthesizer, 2 x VA monophonic synthesizer, polyphonic PCM synthesizer, rhythm machine, sequencer, mixer and also includes over 350 preset sounds.
- NLog MIDI Synth - Professional Virtual Analogue Synthesizer supporting Core MIDI, WIST and interfaces from Akai, Line6, IK Multimedia & others…
- bs-16i - bs-16i is a 16 multi-timbral playback sampler. It supports SoundFont, and can be used for keyboard instrument, MIDI sound module, and MIDI player.
- NLogSynth PRO - Professional Virtual Analogue Synthesizer supporting Core MIDI, WIST and interfaces from Akai, Alesis, Line6, IK Multimedia & others…
- Pianist Pro - Pianist, the ORIGINAL iPhone piano, turns Professional for the iPad with photo-realistic graphics and an unbelievable sound. Pianist Pro was the number one music app for the iPad at release and has remained high in the charts ever since.
- KeyPlay - With amazing new innovative features, KeyPlay is more than just a great sounding piano app. Whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned pro, playing the keyboard is about to get a whole lot more exciting!
- StepPolyArp Midi Step Polyphonic Arpeggiator - StepPolyArp is a Midi step polyphonic arpeggiator. The arpeggiator does not play any sound itself, it transmits Midi notes to a Mac or a PC to be used in combination with any sequencer, virtual instrument (VSTi, Audio Unit) or Midi synthesizer.
- Amos: Another MIDI OSC Source - Amos is a reactive MIDI instrument. It sends MIDI notes to your software synths, outboard gear and desktop DAWs like GarageBand, ProTools and Live. Amos supports CoreMIDI (USB and WiFi), DSMI, and the Line6 MIDI Mobilizer.
- AC-7 Core Mini - The AC-7 Core Mini is a wireless touch control surface for Apple’s Logic music production software as well as many other environments.
- Pad MIDI - Pad MIDI turns your iPhone/iPad into WiFi MIDI pads and keyboard for Mac OSX.
- 50in1 Piano (iPhone) - Learn to play the piano, create your own songs and even sing to your compositions! 50in1 Piano lets you do all that with one single app!
- 50in1 Piano HD (iPad) - Learn to play the piano, create your own songs and even sing to your compositions! 50in1 Piano HD lets you do all that with one single app!
- MIDI Monitor - iOSMidi.com presents Midi Monitor – the free and easy way to test & monitor MIDI hardware. Now compatible with iPhone & Line 6 MIDI Mobilizer as well!
- MIDI Touch for iPhone - Midi Touch for iPhone brings all the great major features from it’s bigger brother, and turns your iPhone or iPod Touch into a powerful wireless MIDI controller! It’s is the ultimate MIDI controller – it allows you to create your own custom controllers by placing knobs, sliders and other controls onto the screen wherever you want.
- MIDIPads - Fully configurable drumpad and Midi controller for Network MIDI and USB MIDI.
- SimpleMidiPad - SimpleMidiPad is an easy-to-use MIDI CC source for driving software or hardware synths and effects, and remote control of a DAW. Each of the four pads sends X, Y, and Z MIDI control messages, with user-selectable destination addresses.
- Crystal Synth XT - Crystal XT is a full featured semi-modular synthesizer, ideally suited to creating lush evolving soundscapes. Crystal VST has long been a popular synthesizer on the desktop. Crystal XT brings that same powerful synthesis engine to the iPad and iPhone. Crystal XT features MIDI keyboard input via the iPad’s camera adapter or any CoreMIDI-compatible MIDI interface such as the Line 6 MIDI Mobilizer and sharing of sounds with the desktop version of Crystal.
- *MoDrum - A beat-making app that features real-time synthesis of drum sounds that range from TR-808 style to real. As a synth and not sampler, sound characteristics can be tweaked from authentic to affected.
- BassLine – Analog Modeling Synthesizer - Turn your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad into a Bass Synthesizer and start rolling your own grooves with the unique sound of the legendary TB-303, the trademark of Acid House that influenced many different styles of electronic music!
- *GarageBand - GarageBand turns your iPad, iPhone and iPod touch into a collection of Touch Instruments and a full-featured recording studio — so you can make music anywhere you go. Use Multi-Touch gestures to play pianos, organs, guitars, drums, and basses.
- KORG iMS-20 - iMS-20 is an analog synth studio; a complete recreation of the Korg MS-20 synth, an analog sequencer, a drum machine, and even Korg’s Kaoss Pad technology. Plus, you can share your songs online via the SoundCloud!
- *SoundPrism Pro
What is SoundPrism Pro?
* a professional composition tool and midi controller
* an interactive generator for harmonic sound textures and epic cinema tracks
* a completely new way to control existing VSTis, synthesizers and sound modules
* an intuitive way to visualize and internalize musical relationships
* an innovative way to interact musically with geometric pitch space visualizations
* a way to define awesome pitch layouts by using the new PitchClassShifter
- KORG iELECTRIBE - Korg’s ELECTRIBE·R has been coveted by dance musicians for ten years running. Today, this indispensable instrument has been reborn as a dedicated iPad app – the KORG iELECTRIBE virtual analog beatbox!
- KORG iELECTRIBE Gorillaz Edition - Korg has teamed up with the hugely popular and globally successful virtual band Gorillaz™ to create a new dedicated beatbox for the iPad: The iELECTRIBE Gorillaz Edition.
- SunVox - A small and fast multi-platform pattern based sequencer (tracker) with modular synthesizers.
- SynthStation - Transform your iPhone into a music production studio. SynthStation transforms your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad into a portable music production studio for mobile music creation.
- Molten Drum Machine - Molten is a powerful and intuitive tool for creating percussive sounds and rhythm sequences for the iPad. Using a revolutionary approach to grid based pattern sequencing that divides time to instantly add tuplets and fills to your drum programming.
- Organ+ - Organ+ comes with 7 different organ engines that faithfully recreate the sounds of celebrated transistor and tonewheel organs. The sweet FX stack –with dual chorus/vibrato, vintage-y reverb, overdrive and more– lets you create ample variation, and hone in on *that* sound. Organ+’s two manuals are individually adjustable with 9 drawbars each, giving you distinct tones that improve phrasing and effect. You can even set organ key clicks and “percussion”!
- AC-7 Core XT - The AC-7 Core XT is an 8 fader extension module for use with our AC-7 Core DAW control surface app.
- VTI Pro - VTI Pro controls your Access Virus range synthesiser directly from your iPad.
- Piano Angel - PianoAngel is a revolutionary piano app which is designed to enable everyone in the world to play piano beautifully and with ease. It is designed not only for people who are already skilled in piano but even more-so for people who don’t know how to play piano or any other instrument.
- grüvtron - Create electronic music in a fun new way. grüvtron makes it easy to get started with presets in a variety of musical styles.
- Little MIDI Machine - Little MIDI Machine is an analog-style MIDI step sequencer app for CoreMIDI and/or the Line 6 MIDI Mobilizer interface.
- Koushion - Koushion is a new kind of MIDI controller for your iPad, and is similar to the Yamaha TENORI-ON. While it looks like a simple Tone Matrix step sequencer, this is no toy. Koushion is quite possibly the next big thing in electronic music.
- MIDI Surface 2 - MIDI Surface is a full-featured MIDI control surface built exclusively for iPhone and iPod touch, brought to you by the minds at Audiofile Engineering. Combining powerful, elegant and uncluttered audio utilities with unparalleled technical support, Audiofile Engineering is one of the most innovative and experienced audio software developers for Mac OS X, iPhone and iPad.
- LoopTastic Producer - Create non-stop mixes and new music tracks on your iPhone and iPod touch. Use it as a live remix and loop-based performance tool. Great for adding spice to a DJ set or to pull out at your next party.
- LoopTastic HD - Create your own non-stop remixes and electronic compositions in an incredibly intuitive way. Simply drag and drop some loops, mix it up with a DJ-style mixer and add effects with Touch Pad control.
- *FL Studio Mobile - FL Studio Mobile allows you to create and save complete multi-track music projects on your iPhone or iPod Touch. You can even load the FL Studio Mobile projects into the ‘FL Studio Desktop PC’ version* and take them to the next level.
- FL Studio Mobile HD - FL Studio Mobile HD allows you to create and save complete multi-track music projects on your iPad. You can even load the FL Studio Mobile projects into the ‘FL Studio Desktop PC’ version* and take them to the next level.
- iBend Midi Pro - iBend Pro is a fantastic XY controller, you can set all midi controller and pitch bend on 4 axis are fully programmable.(min value, max value, action on release, inverse axis…)
- iVoxel - iVoxel is not only an amazingly sounding vocoder – the unique concept of iVoxel turns this vocoder into a singing machine.
- Symphonix Evolution - Whether you’re an experienced musician or a learner, Symphonix Evolution is a powerful tool that helps take your music to a whole new level.
- Symphonix Evolution Player - Symphonix Evolution Player is a basic MIDI file player that supports General MIDI files using the GM/GS specification with up to 16 tracks. It also allows you to play Symphonix Evolution files created in our Symphonix Evolution iPad app on your iPhone using a suite of over 150 wavetable instruments!
- SynthX - Beginner or pro, SynthX is great fun and candy for your ears and eyes.
- Instrumental - Use your iPad with your favorite MIDI software (or hardware) as a 4×4 Drum Pad, Wicki-Hayden Hex-Keyboard, or full-feedback mixing desk.
- Epic Synth - Epic Synth is a polyphonic synthesizer supporting CoreMIDI and Line6′s Midi Mobilizer MIDI interface.
- *MIDI-to - MiDi-to is a wireless DJ MiDi controller designed for Serato Scratch Live™. It is the first iPad MiDi controller designed for Serato that does not need any additional software to work.
- ARGON – Synth - Highly Tweakable Monophonic Virtual Analog Synthesizer.
- Piano Tutor for iPad - Now you can practice your piano skills anywhere with your iPad! For piano beginners, one of the most critical skills is learning how to read the piano sheet. The faster you can read the notes, the easier it is to play beautiful music.
- Addictive Synth - It was never so easy to create beautiful sounds and driving loops! The unique dynamic wavetable synthesis of Addictive Synth for iPad allows you to explore an unprecedented wide range of sonic territory.
- MIDI Tool Box - Midi Tool Box is an integrated app for managing and controlling MIDI devices and data.
- *BeatMaker 2 - The most advanced mobile music workstation.
- Pocket Organ C3B3 - Pocket Organ C3B3 is a musical keyboard application for iPhone/iPod touch that simulates the Hammond Organ. The sound is generated with the synthesis of the waveforms from “Virtual Tonewheel System” controlled by 9 drawbars like the actual Hammond Organ.
- Genome MIDI Sequencer - Musicians can start tearing it up in the studio with Genome MIDI Sequencer (GMS), a powerful pattern based MIDI sequencer for the iPad. With GMS you can control all of your MIDI gear and (Virtual MIDI) apps – sequence single patterns or an entire 16 track song.
- SampleWiz - Capture your sonic universe! Listen… Record… Create…
- *Sunrizer Synth - A virtual analog synthesizer that takes the definition of iOS synthesizer to the next level. Thanks to carefully designed architecture and heavy usage of coprocessor it blurs the boundaries between iOS and hardware synthesizers. Sunrizer was built to perform and works perfectly with any MIDI keyboard or sequencer. A lot of research has been done in order to achieve unheard warmth and clarity.
- *SunrizerXS synth - Sunrizer XS synth is a virtual analog synthesizer that takes the definition of iOs synthesizer to the next level. Thanks to carefully designed architecture and heavy usage of coprocessor it blurs the boundaries between iOs and hardware synthesizers. Sunrizer XS was built to perform and works perfectly with any MIDI keyboard or sequencer. A lot of research has been done in order to achieve unheard warmth and clarity.
- Pro Keys - Play, sing, record – track by track Pro Keys is a multi-instrumental polyphonic keyboard equipped with sounds of legendary synthesizers.
- miniSynth PRO - miniSynth PRO is a fully-featured, professional-grade virtual analogue synthesizer.
- MIDI Vision - If you need to see what any MIDI device is sending (or not), then using MidiVision on your supported iOS device provides a simple, handy and extremely portable solution. No need to lug a computer to your MIDI rig anymore.
- Meteor Multi Track Recorder - Meteor is a digital multi-track recorder designed specifically for the iPad. The program features up to 12 tracks of high quality Stereo, Mono and MIDI audio, a built in mixer and multi-effects processor.
- Arctic Keys - Arctic Keys is a virtual analog synthesizer. With a classic dual-oscillator subtractive synthesis design that gives you the sound creation flexibility we all know and love.
- *iSequence HD - iSequence is one of the most powerful music creation studio designed exclusively for iPad.
- LiveRig MIDI Controller - Musicians, now you can turn your iPad into a clean, small, sophisticated midi controller that remotely manipulates your DAW, your plug-ins, any sounds or effects on your computer while you play, without having your computer in front of you, AND without the pesky and troublesome wires.
- *MIDIBridge - MidiBridge is a backgroundable virtual MIDI patchbay/router that interconnects all MIDI interfaces (external, virtual and network) on an iOS device at a fraction of the cost of equivalent hardware.
- *Geo Synthesizer - Geo Synthesizer is a musical instrument and MIDI controller. A collaboration of Wizdom Music’s Jordan Rudess and Kevin Chartier (MorphWiz, SampleWiz) and Rob Fielding (Mugician), Geo Synthesizer is an incredibly expressive musical instrument specifically created for a multitouch surface.
- *Animoog and *Animoog for iPhone - Animoog, powered by Moog’s new Anisotropic Synth Engine (ASE), is the first professional polyphonic synthesizer designed exclusively for the iPad.
- Alchemy Synth Mobile - Turn your iPhone/iPad into a powerful synthesizer! Alchemy Mobile includes everything from evolving soundscapes and fat bases to lush pads and pulsing arpeggios.
- Echo Piano Pro - Echo Piano is a recordable virtual piano app. The control of the keyboard is the most special feature of this piano app. To reach all the keys during your performance you have to just slide the screen.
- TB MIDI Stuff (iPad) and TB MIDI Tiny Stuff (iPhone) - TB MIDI Stuff is a generic modular MIDI control surface for iPad.
- ThumbJam - ThumbJam is a powerful musical performance experience. You get over 30 high-quality real instruments multi-sampled exclusively for this app. Hundreds of included scales allow you to effortlessly play in any style from rock to classical, whether you are a musical novice or a seasoned professional.
- PortManager - Gain ultimate control of your iConnectMIDI converged MIDI interface with PortManager.
- MIDI Player - With great sound, audio track recording, and custom song mix, the Midi Player 3.0 provides the right tools for the solo performer or backing tracks for your band.
- ELECTRIFY to go - ELECTRIFY is a virtual sample based Groovebox for your iPad.
- Keyboard Arp & Drum Pad - Keyboard Arp & Drum Pad is a CoreMIDI application that transmits notes to external MIDI instruments and includes a keyboard, arpeggiator and assignable drum pads.
- Grain Science – Wooji Juice Ltd - Grain Science is a beautiful new iPad Synthesizer. Designed for musicians, soundscape artists and SFX engineers who want to go beyond our Sylo Synthesizer, Grain Science is built on similar principles of granular synthesis, but is vastly more powerful.
- mobileRhythm mR-7070 – malcolm deas - Classic Drum Machine for iPhone and iPad.
- FreEWI Audeonic Apps - Virtual inline MIDI event mapper for iOS
– See my List of Virtual MIDI Apps –
- Phaedra from Naughty Panther - Phaedra is a 4-bus analog-style MIDI sequencer for iPad.
- WI Guitar – The first truly playable virtual acoustic guitar app, as well as a professional Core MIDI guitar controller over Wi-Fi.
- *Animoog for iPhone
Animoog is Moog Music’s first professional synthesizer for iOS devices, and was the first music app in history to hit number one in the App Store on the day of release.
HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS:Must have iPhone 4, 4S or iPod Touch 4th gen. minimum to run Animoog for iPhone…
- iControlMIDI Apps - (there’re over 30 of them…)
- FunkBox Drum Machine - Put a little funk in your pocket with the FunkBox vintage drum machine app from Synthetic Bits! FunkBox is designed to look, feel, and sound like a classic beatbox from the 70s and 80s. It uses original audio samples taken directly from our own personal collection of vintage drum machines.
- Lemur (iPhone and iPad) – Legendary multitouch MIDI/OSC controller.
- Yamaha - Set List Organizer - Overview Set List Organizer can be used to edit and display the set list for a live performance. It’s a must-have application for any musician.
- TB MIDI Tiny Stuff - A tiny full-featured modular MIDI control surface for iPhone and iPod Touch.
- Audio Midi Connect - Convert live vocals and instruments to MIDI.
- Live Guitar - WiFi MIDI guitar controller and more.
- MIDI Control - This app provides a variety of surfaces to control MIDI equipment, either by WiFi, or through a USB connection.
- DM1 – The Drum Machine [supports MIDI in] - DM1 is an advanced vintage Drum Machine. It turns your iPad into a fun and creative beat making machine.
- Symphony Pro (iPad) – A complete music notation editor that allows you to quickly write and playback music wherever you and your iPad go! Use the 88-key virtual keyboard or a Core MIDI compatible keyboard to rapidly enter a series of notes or chords. You can use the recording tool to play in phrases in real-time.
- energyXT (iPhone) - With energyXT for iOS you can create, record and work with your ideas on the iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch and then drag and drop the tracks into your DAW as midi and/or audio files.
- NodeBeat - Make music with NodeBeat, the intuitive and fun visual music app for all ages. Whether you’re 5 or 105, NodeBeat will make you sound like a pro.
- NodeBeat HD - Create your own music in a matter of minutes or listen to NodeBeat generate its own. Easily share your creations with others or save them for later to show your friends. Discover your musical genius with NodeBeat!
- shapesynth - Shape is a polyphonic synthesiser allowing the user to draw the shape of the oscillator waveform.
- Orphion (iPad) - Orphion is a musical instrument with a unique sound between string instrument and percussion. Everyone can play expressive, wonderful sounds and easy or virtuosic melodies on it just by moving fingers on virtual pads. You can also use Orphion to control other apps via Virtual MIDI.
- csGrain (iPad) - csGrain is a real-time audio processing and recording tool that lets you create new sounds and new musical textures by transforming your voice, your instrument, or your favorite songs from your iTunes library in subtle or dramatic ways – all with the power of CSOUND.
- *MIDI Designer Pro (iPad) - Design Your Perfect MIDI Controller
- *Loopy HD (iPhone and iPad) - This is a looper that’ll come out to play, but get down to work when you want to get serious.
- S4 Rhythm Composer FREE! - S4-Rhythm composer is a beatbox that allows you to compose 64 beat patterns.
- CASSINI Synth for iPhone - Polyphonic Synthesizer for iPhone/iPod touch.
- HyperSpace 3D Synthesizer (iPhone) - A waveform-sculpting 3D oscilloscope synth.
- Electronic Piano Synthesizer (iPad) – Piano synthesizer for iPad based on a 32-bit realtime sound engine the sounds are computed on the fly and no samples are used.
- Electronic Piano Synthesizer XS for (iPhone) - Piano synthesizer for iPhone based on a 32-bit realtime sound engine the sounds are computed on the fly and no samples are used.
- MIDI Studio (iPhone and iPad) - Midi Studio it’s great midi controller for your home or professional studio.
- Brainwave Sequencer (iPad) – Clip based MIDI sequencer.
- Griid Pro (iPhone and iPad) – the first ever controller to offer full MIDI clip editing with your fingers. Create melodies and beats and finally play Live… live.
- brother (iPhone) - Brother is a polyphonic cleaner brother of shapesynth, which comes with 4 preset waveforms. It is both capable of running on its own with background audio and core MIDI or as a slave to shapesynth.
- DM1 for iPhone – DM1 is an advanced vintage Drum Machine. It turns your iPhone into a fun and creative beat making machine. Easy and fast to use, loaded with 64 superb electronic drum kits and beautiful hyper-realistic graphics, DM1 has been designed for a lot of instant fun.
- Beatsurfing - Draw a 3-dimensional controller and use it in two different and complementary ways. It’s all about movement, and bringing back this intuitive way to make music.
- iDamper Free app! - iDamper is a application simulating sustain pedal. It can send control change message #64 via CoreMIDI compatible MIDI interface, and wireless MIDI using WiFi. Please do not tread too strongly on your iPhone!
- Griid for iPhone - Griid is multi platform and will run on iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch! Griid is THE powerful, professional Ableton Live controller for iDevices. The ultimate cliplauncher is OS X and Windows compatible.
- Clap Box - Clap Box is a perfect emulation of the classic 1982 Clap Trap. It is inspired by all of the cool sounds of the original, the same programming logic, plus more modern enhancements like MIDI trigger and BPM matching.
- BitWiz Audio Synth - Translate C-like code expressions into 8-bit generative stereo audio in real-time. Explore the algorithmic music of simple bitwise arithmetic operations while watching the retro-digital 3D graphics!
- Rockmate – Turn your iPad into a complete music studio easy and super fun to use. Compose, play, record and produce your songs and albums, alone or with up to 4 musicians on one single iPad.
- Super Jupiter 8V Programmer – The Super Jupiter 8V Programmer app is made for one purpose; programming the Arturia Jupiter 8V virtual instrument.
- Moog Modular V2 Controller – The Modular V Controller is a cool MIDI controller app for the Arturia modular V virtual instrument. It makes the use of the synth even nicer and way more convenient.
- *Magellan - A bold new professional analog modeling synthesizer for the iPad. Not content with just one synth, we gave Magellan TWO independent polyphonic synth engines. Individually or together, they deliver a new powerful warmth to the sound of iOS music.
- CASSINI Synth for iPad - Polyphonic Synthesizer for iPad. 3 OSCs + 2 Filters + AMP + 9 EGs + 6 LFOs + 3band EQ + Saturator + 2 Delays + Arpeggiator…
- DrumJam – DrumJam is a whole new world of percussion and drums for the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch. Designed by award winning international percussionist Pete Lockett and Sonosaurus LLC, the developer of ThumbJam, this app is a real first for percussion.
- PPG WaveGenerator – The latest development from the inventor of wavetable synthesis, Wolfgang Palm. It is a next generation synthesizer, building on the heritage of the PPG Wave keyboards.
- Loopr Live Loop Composer – Loopr offers you a very low latency mean to record and play loops. You can create, practice, jam along, or sample audio soudscapes easily with this simple to use app. Developed by long-time expert loopers, it is focused on ergonomy and simplicity through one finger controls but also via hands-free MIDI pedalboard compatibility.
- iFretless Bass (output only) – A new musical instrument for iPhone and iPad. The interface combines the feeling of a nine string bass guitar with the black and white color scheme of a piano keyboard so even guitarists who play by ear will always know what notes they’re playing. Features velocity-sensitive dynamics that are more accurate than GarageBand.
- Audulus for iPad – With Audulus, you can build synthesizers, design new sounds, and process audio. All with low latency real-time processing suitable for live performance. Audulus’s user interface is clean, simple, and easy to learn, allowing you to focus on sound.
- Beat-Machine - A powerful retro themed drum computer for iOS. It combines a simple X0X style sequencer with a robust and flexible sampler to give you maximum control over your beats.
- Gestrument – Improvise or compose within the scales and rhythms you choose. Use parameters like pulse density, scale morphing, rhythm randomness or pitch fluctuation to find new paths for your musical expression and creativity. Use the tutorials or define your own settings to fit the musical style you want to play and compose in. Play on up to eight instruments at once – all with different individual settings.
- S1MidiTrigger - S1MidiTrigger turns your iPad or iPhone into a customizable touchscreen MIDI controller that can replace hardware devices costing hundreds of dollars. Connect wirelessly to audio workstation applications on the PC or Mac, or use Line 6′s MIDI Mobilizer hardware add-on!
- KORG iPolysix – iPolysix is an analog polyphonic synthesizer that’s been carefully designed to take full advantage of the 7.9-inch display of the new iPad mini as well as the iPad. Bringing together a sequencer, drum machine, and even a mixer, it transforms your iPad or iPad mini into the ultimate analog synth studio.
- Synergy Studio – A sequencer that enables music creation by all musical abilities. By simply tapping on the grid interface users can lay down a series of notes and patterns of up to 64 notes to create a musical sequence.
- Sonic Logic – Sonic Logic is a modular MIDI controller allowing you to edit and control MIDI controller setups from your iPad. Control Ableton Live, Logic Pro, Cubase, Protools, Traktor, and other popular DAWs right from your iPad.
- Magellan Jr – A bold new professional analog modeling synthesizer for the iPad. Not content with just one synth, we gave Magellan TWO independent polyphonic synth engines. Individually or together, they deliver a new powerful warmth to the sound of iOS music.
- Tabletop – Tabletop is a modular environment where you can mix and match different devices. Select from over 30 devices including samplers, mixers, effects, sequencers and more. Buy only the gear you need from an expanding catalog.
- Cubasis – Steinberg’s streamlined, multitouch sequencer for the iPad. Specially designed for quick and easy operation, Cubasis makes recording, editing and mixing a breeze. Record tracks in CD audio quality, and edit your music with the key and sample editors, while the included mixer and audio effects polish your song to perfection.
- Synthesia - Learn to play the piano using falling notes! Get started right away, even if you don’t know how to read sheet music. Enjoy playing songs right on the iPad touchscreen or connect a MIDI keyboard, put your iPad right on the music stand, and play using real keys!
- Sir Sampleton – Sir Sampleton is a sampling musical keyboard similar to Casio and Yamaha samplers from the 80s. The app allows you to record sounds through the microphone and then play them on dual piano keyboards accompanied by a rhythm machine.
- Notion – A notation editor and playback tool for your iPad, giving you the convenience of an easy-to-use music creation tool right at your fingertips. An incredible composition app for any music lover, Notion gives you the ability to compose, edit, and playback scores using real audio samples performed by The London Symphony Orchestra recorded at Abbey Road Studios.
- the microTone - A microtonal polyphonic synthesizer and MIDI / OSC controller for the ipad.
- PPG WaveMapper - A second synthesiser to compliment the already loved PPG WaveGenerator from Wolfgang Palm. PPG WaveMapper allows the user the opportunity to create limitless sounds from this unique and powerful new technology…
- synthmate - A musical synthesizer with a simple and elegant interface, programable controls including scales, wave type, lfo and yaxis control with a low-latency audio engine.
- iMini – The iMini is a recreation of the classic 1971 Minimoog synthesizer, one of most iconic synthesizers of all time.
- Unity Synthesizer - Unity synthesizer can create professional quality synth sounds with on screen or external MIDI keyboard. The base configuration includes two synth engines (Retro AS-1 analog and Unity DS-1 sample playback) and twenty three audio effects, along with seven sound banks including General MIDI, Best of Retro AS-1, Pipe Organ, Rock Pop drum and percussion loops banks. An arpeggiator, sequencer, and scales can be used for real-time MIDI playback.
- Konkreet Performer - PERFORMER uses a shape that is a visual representation of the sound, which you can sculpt using multitouch and gestures, giving a completely new and dynamic method of musical expression.
- iMIDIPatchbay - Organize your whole MIDI setup from one central point. Do you often divide your keyboard into zones to assign different sounds which might come from external sound expanders? Do you want to integrate your music making apps into your live gear? Well, then iMIDIPatchbay is definitely the right tool for you…
Lite version available
- MiniMapper - The latest development from the inventor of wavetable synthesis, Wolfgang Palm. It is a next generation synthesizer, building on the heritage of the PPG Wave keyboards. PPG MiniMapper is an easy to use performance synthesizer with a wide range of sounds for iPhone and iPod Touch.
- xMod – An easy to use full-function synth designed for iOS devices. The sound engine is a polyphonic triple-oscillator cross-modulated FM synthesizer. FM is widely regarded as the most efficient way of generating complex “organic” musical sounds. The complexity of programming FM synthesizers is solved in xMod.
- Turnado - A revolutionary multi-effect tool crafted especially for massive real-time audio manipulation. It combines unique and dynamic effects with the most intuitive and immediate control you can imagine. Just turn it on and crank it up!
- Noisepad - Noisepad is an easy to use music creation tool for iPhone & iPad. A sample player, MPC, drum computer and live performance utility in one.
- Galileo Organ - Galileo’s 11 unique organ types recreate anything from a leaky old 300-pounder to the transistor-most of the red boxes. The organ comes complete with three manuals, Scanner vibrato/chorus emulation, percussion module & settable organ parameters such as leakage, keyclick, attack & release and more. The signal is rounded out by a virtual-tube, Class-A inspired preamp, as well as a powerful rotary cabinet simulator with 3 cabinet types and multiple parameters.
- Nave -Next generation Wavetable Synthesis. Nave is Waldorf’s first synthesizer App development – created by chief engineer and director Stefan Stenzel, NLog mastermind Rolf Wöhrmann and Design Guru Axel Hartmann. The Nave sound engine includes two novel Wavetable oscillators, leaving every previous attempt in wavetable synthesis far behind. The spectrum of a sound can be transposed independently of its pitch. The waves are being rendered periodically to noisy. Especially sounds with an accent on formants can be reproduced easily, which made us integrate a speech synthesizer for the easy creation of wavetables.
- Thor Polysonic Synthesizer - Thor for iPad puts the mighty Thor synthesizer at your fingertips. Reason’s legendary flagship synth delivers a thunderous sound, god-like sound sculpting capabilities and an innovative, lighting-fast keyboard designed for iPad. Thor is a synthesis playground, a flexible sonic workhorse, but above all, an expressive musical instrument for the iPad.
- SquareSynth - SquareSynth is a table-based synthesizer for iOS, based on old-school chiptune trackers. Using the “tables” you can create sounds similar to 8bit game consoles, and computers. Must have app for chiptune musicians, or musicians in general. If you want to experiment with 8 bit sounds, look no further! Many examples included.
- AUFX:Dub - A highly tweakable stereo delay audio effect, suitable for everything from clean digital delays to filthy dub echoes and broken cassette tapes.
- CRUD – An earth shattering bass synthesizer. 50 patches that will make your DNB, Dubstep mixes crunch and growl!
- S4 Rhythm Composer Pro - A beatbox that can be customized in various ways. 14 drum kits are preset, and also you can create and save the entire kit as “User kits” at your choice.
- ChordPolyPad – Midi Chords Player – A chords player for Midi instruments, sequencers like Logic, Cubase, Live and all other Midi sequencers, or even virtual instruments installed on the same iPad. The chords can be played live from pads.
- Modular Synthesizer – A powerful sound design tool which allows you to build your own custom synthesizer by connecting different sound modules together. By separating each synthesis process, modules can be connected in any way. You are no longer limited to fixed synthesizer design, you are now in full control of your sound. This is the beauty and power of modular synthesis. Whether you are a professional musician or a beginner who just loves sound, modular offers you an incredibly powerful synthesizer experience.
- WOW Filterbox - WOW2 is available for iPad with a future-dripping user interface, 21 incredible filter types with the famous vowel mode, distortions that cover your tracks with gas and put them on fire, modulations that cause more trouble than your modular dark room, and that warm and juicy sound, that you were looking for.
- New! Arturia iSEM - A recreation of the classic 1974 Oberheim SEM (Synthesizer Expander Module), one of the world’s first self-contained synthesizer modules and the first to bear the “Oberheim Electronics” name.
- New! LP-5 – Performance-geared loop player for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Built for live arranging and remixing, LP-5 allows you to trigger audio loops using an intuitive launch matrix, while automatic tempo synchronization keeps you in time with the beat.
- New! Traditional Musical Instrument Apps by Michael Eskin
Check out my other app lists here.